For Thanksgiving, a Magical Root Vegetable and Maple Gratin
You might remember the Rutabaga and Turnip Gratin I made last year with Mamma for Thanksgiving. I know, a ruta-what? A rutabaga is a buttery yellow root vegetable, imploding with flavor that subtly hints at butternut squash, turnip and potato. In case you haven’t stocked up on this extraordinary vegetable, I updated this year’s version of the recipe to suit your Fall palate and “wow” your family and guests more than last year! It’s a synch to make, and can be prepared ahead of time and reheated for serving. Dig in, but don’t forget to say “thanks” for this plentiful dish!
Root Vegetable and Maple Gratin
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 side servings 1x
- 1 leek
- 6 cups thinly sliced and evenly sized root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips, parsnips, kohlrabi, beets, or daikon radishes)
- 1 teaspoon dried, crushed thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried, crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the leek in half and rinse in between the leaves, as they tend to collect sand and dirt. Chop the leeks.
- In a large bowl, toss together the leeks, thinly and evenly sliced vegetables, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and half the parmesan cheese. Transfer the seasoned vegetables in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, or other baking dish where the vegetables create at least a 1-inch thick even layer.
- In a small pot, heat the cream and maple syrup and stir in the spices.
- Pour the liquid into the baking dish so that it comes about halfway up the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese over the surface of the vegetables.
- Cover the gratin with foil, and bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for about 30 minutes, until the top layer is browned.
ADVENTURE WITH ME