“The Real Morning Party” Bloody Mary
Pia and Rafa celebrated their 10th year anniversary with a wedding weekend brimming with love, musical sensation, international flair, show-stoppin’ hula hooping and epic reunions with cherished friends. Though my beat on Sunday morning was significantly slower than guest musician Marco Benevento’s “The Real Morning Party“, this garden-fresh cocktail revived my spirits before my imminent departure from San Francisco back east to Ithaca.
Our stay in San Francisco revolved around Ana’s casita, gracing the crest of a hill in Bernal Heights and padded from the city hum by fruit trees. This bloody mary mix was bursting with sun-ripened flavors, including juice from freshly harvest backyard lemons and plump sun-gold tomatoes from the neighborhood farmers market.
Homemade Bloody Mary Mix
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 cocktails
- Vodka – 3 ounces (shots) of your vodka
- Tomatoes – 5-6 medium tomatoes
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Spicy ground mustard – 1 tablespoon spicy ground mustard
- Lemon – 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- Pickled peppers or Onions – 1/4 cup
- Pickled juice – 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- Sriracha hot sauce – 1 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
- Parsley flakes – 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Chipotle chili flakes – 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili flakes
- Sea salt – 1/2 teaspoon, coarse
- Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon freshly grounded pepper, plus a few twists for garnish
- Soy sauce – 1/4 teaspoon
- Carrot or Celery sticks – Carrot or celery sticks for garnish
- Lemon wedge – Lemon wedge for garnish
- Using a cheese grater, grate the tomatoes over a medium bowl. You will extract all of the pulp, seeds and juice. Discard the peels.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. If you are using an immersion blender, liquify the ingredients directly in the bowl. Otherwise, transfer the ingredients to a blender and liquify. If you don’t have either of these pieces of equipment, whisk the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Pour your bloody mary over ice, and serve with carrot or celery sticks, or green olives. Garnish with a lemon wedge and a twist of freshly ground black pepper.
ADVENTURE WITH ME
Leave a Reply